Thursday, May 11, 2006

A wedding song to sing? - (updated)

Should I sing this song from Psalm 72 at my wedding?

Amazingly, the clever young Liam Beadle (Associate at Holy Trinity Church, Lyonsdown and Oxford theology graduate) wrote it off the top of his head in 10 mins this afternoon for my wedding, where it might get its first ever public performance. The exciting World Premier - or is it debut?

It was very impressive speed paraphrasing, and rhyming. The kind of thing they should teach you in school - as part of the rhetoric course, though elements from grammar and logic would come in handy too. Some of the poetry / imagery seems good to me. Happy blending of images. The theology is sound. The interpretation seems fair. Slight hints of Post-Millenialism, I feel.

(Stephen Fry's book on writing poetry The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking The Poet Within (London, Hutchinson, 2005) is fun and worth a look, I believe. It has little exercises to do like write a haiku while you're on the bus).

The preacher (Revd Dr David Field) is interested in that text to go with his sermon on Acts 2.

The other songs we are thinking of are:
(1) Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer
(2) In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found - those 2 are decided
(3) My Song Is Love Unknown
(4) To God Be The Glory.

5 songs is almost certainly too many.

There'll be Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring for my prospective wife to come in to and organ music to go out to. There'll be a piano and a band.

If we use this song, what tume should we use? Its in 12 12. 12 12 metre. Stowey (the tune of that classic school favourate When The Knight Won His Spurrs).

Obviously no one will know this song (excpet Liam) and I'm worried we might not sing it very well at first sight.

I am getting my fiance's expert opinion.

1) You gave Jesus your justice: he rose from the dead,

And have given your people your rich Living Bread.

You defended the cause of the poor and lost:

You have given your Son at such measureless cost.

(2) We will fear you as long as the Sun will endure:

Like the rain on the grass making us clean and pure.

In the days of your kingdom the righteous abound;

Christ has rule and dominion the whole world around.

(3) You deliver the needy, the poor and the lame,

When they call on you pleading your Son's holy name.

May the name of the Saviour be praised and adored,

As the loving, omnipotent, glorious Lord!

Song words: (c) Liam Beadle 2006. All rights reserved.

I'm sorry for not crediting you with it earlier, Liam. I thought you might prefer to remain annonymous. I hope it was okay to put it up without asking you? You seemed to be pretty free with it earlier.

8 comments:

Ros said...

Definitely 'My Song is Love Unknown' (though not with bad Sing Glory words). Who says 5 is too many? Too many for what? Or for whom?

Liam Beadle said...

For the record (and to prevent perjury!) the song is © Liam Beadle 2006.

Daniel Newman said...

I'd stick with "Hail to the Lord's Anointed" by James Montgomery for Psalm 72 if I were you.

I ought to introduce myself - I'm a friend of Liam's from Oxford, in my third year reading Medicine. I am greatly enjoying your 'blog, although there's so much good stuff that I fear I'm not taking it all in, and it's keeping me from learning about vascular smooth muscle.

Liam Beadle said...

No problem at all - I'm free and easy! (cf. The Lambeth Walk)

Marc Lloyd said...

Welcome Daniel, thank you. Daniel, are you staying on in Oxford for the clinical bit? What's the grand plan for world domination?

Daniel Newman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daniel Newman said...

I am indeed staying in Oxford for the clinical bit. I'm staying at the same College, too - Brasenose, which I have recently discovered is the college that martyrologist John Foxe and the Puritan John Howe attended, so we have quite a heritage.

I intend to dominate the world through meddling. I'm quite good at it. I've already told someone whom I have never met what they should be singing at their wedding (and no, five songs are not too many!). One just has to have the ear of important people (pastor, CU president, College group rep etc.) and make the occasional comment. I am aware of your suggestion that Ros Clarke and I marry so that we can be King and Queen. This is an interesting idea and should I wish to accelerate my plans for world domination, I may well pursue this further. Perhaps we can then regain our Empire - gently, of course! Ros and I might have to be introduced first, though.

Marc Lloyd said...

Thank you, Daniel. That sounds like an interesting plan. so you might work as a doctor? in the UK? what sort? And meddle in your spare time?

I would be delighted to try to introduce you to Ros at the drop of a hat. You only have to ask. Though I'm not sure what criteria she has in mind for a consort, I know the standards are very high. Perhaps she would care to blog about it? Or maybe she would rather we didn't? Again, she only has to ask!