Monday, May 29, 2006

Not Prayer For The Day

Grrrr.

The “Rev’d” Earnest Ray did an awful “Prayer” for the Day on Radio 4 this morning: “I’m grateful for the faith I learned at my mother’s knee in Northern Ireland, but there were down sides: only when I went to University did I realise that there were good Roman Catholics and now I’ve travelled a long way since my childhood faith. I’m profoundly convinced that the Muslim and I are on the same path and seeking to know and serve the same God and we’ve both got part of the truth. Prayer: god help us learn from other religions.”, sort of thing.

You can read the text today at http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/prayerfortheday/

You couldn’t get more rank liberal pluralism. One mountain many paths. I expected him top start saying something or other about elephants and blind men any minute. Same kind of shape as John Hick’s story.

Go back, Ray. The Old Paths are better. Ulster Protestantism sounds better than Multi-faith mash.

This sort of thing is just so damaging in the light of the Great Final Day when God will judge all men by the Man He has appointed, the Lord Jesus Christ. It will be dreadful on that Day for the Muslim who will find he is on a very different road. And it seems to me that Earnest will be in trouble else he repent too.

* * *

How does one go about getting someone stripped of their “Revd”ness, by the way? Who can I write to?

Is it a waste of my valuable time and energy to write to the BBC about this?

And who picks these guys for Radio 4? I seem to remember Revd Earnest used to be head of religious broadcasting at the BBC? Our national voice in safe hands?

* * *

And isn’t “prayer” for the day a great misnomer? Its actually mini-sermon with rather didactic thought tacked on the end and addressed to “god”.

Grrrr. There, I feel a bit better now.

No comments: