Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Regular Coffee

I tried to buy a coffee today. When I was handed the coffee, the assistant asked for £1.59.

"But it says £1.39 on the menu", I protested.

"But that's for a regular coffee. You didn't ask for a regular coffee. This is a large one".

"But I didn't say I wanted a large one. Surely you should have given me a standard regular one?"

Assistant: "We've only got large ones."

Apart from the fact that a regular coffee ought to fit perfectly well into a large cup, what is the point of "regular" unless its "standard, normal, usual, didn't ask for anything else coffee." Why was I served an extraordinary one without warning and against my will?

Needless to say I obediently paid £1.59 and have not been resenting the loss of that much needed and hard-gotten 20p ever since.

What's the matter with small, medium and large, anyway, if we're going to have hyper choice? I suppose it could have been worse: she could have insisted on giving me a grande Americano.

Ah, grumpy old man voice and modern life.

:)

No comments: