Saturday, January 25, 2014

Christ's more radical call.

Billy Graham once said:

"I have in my hand a letter written by a Communist student at an eastern university
after he had gone to Mexico and become a Communist. He wrote to his fiancee,
breaking off their engagement. Here is in part what he said. This was given
to me by the minister of the Presbyterian Church in Montreat, North Carolina,
where I live. Here is what it says:

We Communists have a high casualty rate. We're the ones who get shot and
hung and lynched and tarred and feathered and jailed and slandered, and ridiculed
and fired from our jobs, and in every other way made as uncomfortable as possible.
A certain percentage of us get killed or imprisoned. We live in virtual poverty.
We turn back to the party every penny we make above what is absolutely necessary
to keep us alive.
We Communists don't have the time or the money for many movies, or concerts,
or T-bone steaks, or decent homes and new cars. We've been described as fanatics.
We are fanatics. Our lives are dominated by one great overshadowing factor,
THE STRUGGLE FOR WORLD COMMUNISM.

We Communists have a philosophy of life which no amount of money could
buy. We have a cause to fight for, a definite purpose in life. We subordinate
our petty personal selves into a great movement of humanity, and if our personal
lives seem hard, or our egos appear to suffer through subordination to the
party, then we are adequately compensated by the thought that each of us in
his small way is contributing to something new and true and better for mankind.

There is one thing in which I am dead earnest and that is the Communist
cause. It is my life, my business, my religion, my hobby, my sweetheart, my
wife and mistress, my bread and meat. I work at it in the daytime and dream
of it at night. Its hold on me grows, not lessens as time goes on. Therefore
I cannot carry on a friendship, a love affair, or even a conversation without
relating to this force which both drives and guides my life. I evaluate people,
books, ideas and actions according to how they effect the Communist cause
and by their attitude toward it. I've already been in jail because of my ideas
and if necessary, I'm ready to go before a firing squad.

I want to ask you do you have that much dedication to the Lord Jesus Christ?
I tell you Christ demanded no less. Show me one verse in the Bible where our
Lord demanded any less of those that follow Him."

Source

No comments: