Monday, February 26, 2007

Dedications

Prefaces are sometimes the best bit of books, and I love a good dedication.

My favourite might be that of Father Dr Thomas Weinandy in Does God Change? (nicely situated opposite the Nihil Obstat!).

Today I saw this in Ian Green's The Christian's ABC on Chatechisms and rather liked it:

Q. To whom is this book dedicated, with love and gratitude?

A. Judith (Prov. 18:22)


The Scripture proof is a nice touch, I think, even if it doesnt quite prove the point - but then the same is true of many Scripture proofs. The Westminster Divines did not want to include them, I understand, but parliament insisted.

I think Peter Leithart is dedicating his books to each of his children in turn: he is both very fruitful and prolific, so that's happy.

1 comment:

Ros said...

What's the Weinandy one?