Monday, December 20, 2021

(20) Fixated on Jesus our Sabbath Rest - Hebrews 4:1-11 (p59f)

 

 

(20) Fixated on Jesus our Sabbath Rest - Hebrews 4:1-11 (p59f)

 

Fixated: Advent Meditations from the Book of Hebrews

Tim Chester

10 of those, 2020 ISBN: 9781913278953 73pp

https://www.10ofthose.com/uk/products/26683/fixated

 

Jesus said: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

 

How is it that we can rest in Jesus? (On what basis?)

 

Why should we?

 

How can we? (How do we receive / experience that rest?)

 

What threatens our rest?

 

Just as we think about the tenses of our salvation (we are saved, we are being saved, we shall be saved) we could think about the tenses of our rest: we have rest in Christ by faith, we should increasingly seek to rest in Christ, we shall be given full and perfect rest in Christ one day.

 

What difference does it make to serve Christ and others from rest, rather than seeking to achieve it by our own efforts? Do we live out of grace, gift, plenty, fullness, rather than from a sense of deficit and desperation, trying to win favour and fill the void?

 

Lord, thank you for Jesus and the rest he gives. Thank you for the reality of it here and now even in the midst of busyness and responsibilities. Deliver me from the sense that I need to justify myself. Give me wisdom about what I take on. And help me to cast all my anxieties on you, knowing that you care for me. Thank you that your grace is sufficient for me. Bring me at last to that eternal and perfect rest which Jesus has won for me. Amen.

 

Song: Blessed Assurance Jesus is Mine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDeiy9-t2GE

No comments: