Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hard Work

We were reminded yesterday that when asked about the secrets of the undoubtedly great success of his ministry, John Stott replied: "Two words: HARD WORK".

I was wondering whether I have ever really worked hard at anything in my life?

I've worked hard for a day, a night, perhaps even a few weeks, but I'm not sure I've ever worked hard, reliably, consistently in a disciplined sensible way at one thing for, say, a year.

For example, if I had done an hour of Greek six days a week for a year I might have mastered the basic elements of it, whatever learning disability I might or might not have.

Or if I read the Works of John Owen or Jonathan Edwards for a hour a day until I'd read them all, soon I would be a comparative expert on them...

I might even get a PhD...

Or hear Christ's well done my good and faithful servant.

Hard work. Hum.

What are you working hard at and how?

No comments: