Thursday, March 22, 2007

Reading

Do you ever have the experience when reading of understanding every single word but not quite getting what the sentances mean and coming away from the paragraph after the second slow reading none the wise?

That was my experience with Ladriere, Jean ‘The Performativity of Liturgical Language’, trans. John Griffiths Concillium volume 2 number 9, February 1973, pp50-62 yesterday.

Admitedly it was an English translation, but nevertheless.

I resorted to typing out most of the article and I'm far from seeing how my notes are usable for anything more enlighteningl than a faux learned footnote.

The problem is: how do I know if this is profound and important theological reflection which I am too dim to get but should persevere with, or complete gobbledygook nonsense I can safely ignore?

1 comment:

Ros said...

I often have that experience. I always presume that the author is using obscurity to cover his lack of profundity (or possibly, his lack of orthodoxy). It's like Rowan Williams who can write perfectly clearly when he wants to (on Arius) but chooses not to when he's writing about the church. Can't be coincidence, I think.