Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Jim Jordan's Sermon Class

There's a lot of concern in my circles for getting the one main point of a Bible passage and working out your sermon to serve a simple aim sentance that encapsulates the intended response of your conrgegation.

Part of it might be laziness in me, but I found this from Revd Dr James Jordan refreshing:

When I was in seminary, a few (not all) of my professors told us that laymen cannot really learn the Bible, and that it was pointless to try and teach it to them. Just give them one-point sermons (pabulum), they advised us. I have never found that to be true, and I think it is absolutely horrible advice. Jesus warned us not to lock up the heaven of God from men (Matthew 23:13). The way the Word is hidden in modern Presbyterian and evangelical churches, we can be sure that judgement is coming!

For my money, I'd rather forget all homoletics and rhetoric, and do away with three-point sermons, one-point sermons, analytic-synthetic sermons, etc. Just get up and read the passage and explain it, verse by verse, and make applications. Keep it simple, and filled with content. We need content, not rhetoric. I'm exaggerating somewhat, but I hope you get the point. We need saturation in the Word. Nothing else will do.


Theses on Worship: Notes Towards the Reformation of Worship second edition, slightly revised (Niceville, Transfiguration Press, 1st ed. 1994, 1998), p33

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marc,

I'm not sure we've come away with the same understanding of "our circle's" intentions.

My understanding is that what is meant is that a passage has a purpose and that you should be able to follow its logic to identify the purpose. That isn't about treating your congregation as unable to understand scripture -you are still going to work through the passage and explain each verse.

But Jordan knows full well that he doesn't want to hear someone meandering aimlessly through a passage verse to verse failing to see any linkage or progression. That would be a waste of everyone's time and as much an abuse of their intelligence!

Marc Lloyd said...

Yeah, okay. You're probably right. It was more the second half of the quotation that I thought might apply to us, rather than thinking there's no point in teaching the Bible. Though I have often heard the sermon criticism that there is too much content.

I think a passage might often have many purposes. And might rightly serve additional purposes for us. I'm not sure I'm too worried about teaching the one main point or the main thrust of the passage, as long as I'm teaching and applying something the passage really entails. And over a whole ministry not distorting the overall shape of the Bible. Maybe I'm conceeding your point here of getting the melodic line of the whole.

I guess you'd agree that there's a danger of imposing too much unity on texts too. They don't always easily crunch down to an aim and theme sentance and I've often struggled to see a single agenda in a chunk of text.

Ros said...

Marc - did we ever get a report from you on Doug Wilson's visit? What did he say? How did people respond? Did you all have your world view shifted?

Marc Lloyd said...

Ros, the Doug Wilson evening was good. He was friendly and balanced. Nothing terribly dramatic: I think "don't hand your children over to Baal" (state schools) was probably the most controversial thing - someone asked if Xians should teach in nonXian schools and Wilson didn't rule it out.

Dont remember much disagreement.

I believe Dr Jeffrey has put up a recording on Acorn.

Anonymous said...

Marc,

Yes fair points. I think there is a risk on over doing it. And yes the "too much content criticism is a problem -like the person who told me I'd preached three sermons. Obviously I'd not demonstrated well enough how essential each element was on building up a picture.

On the Doug Wilson point -sorry to disappoint you but actually there was some significant dissent. I must admit I found him a lot less easy to take seriously -provocative but I'm less convinced there is any depth to his arguments -unfortunately his argument on child baptism (which big Peter assures me is not one that he would use ) just didn't work at all with me and it left me wondering whether I'd agree with him on education if I wasn't a grumpy old man! But I think the real dissenters were just too gobsmacked to start an argument -one comment was "On another planet" which I'm not sure is fair. Still it was all good fun and very interesting

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah I was the one who asked about xians teaching in state schools and I thought he was very fair and gracious on that -one oh his many commendable points-even though he disagrees strongly he respects those who disagree