Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What's in a name?

Thanks to Ruth Field for pointing to the Times OnLine thingy about names.

Sadly there was no entry for "Marc", which no doubt would be entirely different from "Mark". Cruel discrimination against the Welsh by the nasty English yet once again.

But it turns out "Mark" is in the doldrums.

So Jeffers, if you need a baby name in the next few days, you may like to consider doing the decent thing. Additional middle name perfectly acceptable. (Marcia doesnt get a look in either, by the way, should the baby be of the other genre).

From Times Online here:

MARK:

From the Latin name Marcus, which is based on Mars, the Roman god of war;

Average age: 37.
Average income £30,000.

Most likely to live in the East of England.
Marks are twice as likely as most people to be directors or managers.
Marks are the most likely to have unsecured loans.
The name Mark has had a dramatic change in fortunes. After being in the Top Ten throughout the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties, it had dropped to 44th place by 1994, and is not now in the Top 100.

I have some growing up and some wage earning to do if I am to avoid being below average marks, it would seem.

8 comments:

Ros said...

I played their name game. Apparently I should be called Fiona and I'm probably co-habiting in Northern Scotland. I'm likely to holiday in USA / Canada and may have a dishwasher.

I'm not sure I trust this site.

Marc Lloyd said...

Ros, are you on holdiay in the US? Do you have a dishwasher?

Anonymous said...

well, i'm a bit too old, apparently, my income is far too low, and I should be going on activity holidays, which seems to me to defeat the point of a holiday... Also, Matthews are apparently 3 times more likely than "most people" (whoever they are!) to be students.

However, I'm touched to know that Matthews are far less likely to be malingerers or drug addicts than people called Wayne...

Anonymous said...

I should be called Gillian, apparently!

Marc Lloyd said...

Ros or Ruth or Fiona or Gillain,

I couldn't find this name game thing on the Times Online site? How do I find out what I should be called?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm Roger, married, living in the South-West, holidaying in Australia/NZ and have a conservatory.

Where did all that come from? I shouldn't have said I liked golf!

Dawn said...

Your name should be:
I, too, have managed to distract myself from work and play the name game.

I should be called Carol (which is funny as that's my mum's name), be married and living in Lancashire. I'm likely to holiday in Spain and I may have a conservatory...

Not really true....but if anyone knows a Lancashire lad who lives in a house with a conservatory, would like to marry me and take me on holiday to Spain then I could just change my name by depol!!!!

Marc Lloyd said...

Jeffers kindly helped me out with using the Times site.

On the basis that we live in a flat, have an ASDA near by and I like to read, it said I should be called Terry or Terrance, live in the South West, be married and may have a conservatory. Surely flats are less likely than houses to have conservatories? Liked the picture of me reading a book and holding an ASDA bag.