Monday, October 03, 2022

Hymns and songs which are prayers

In addition of course to many of the Psalms, here are some random examples of songs and hymns which are prayers (with thanks to those who have added to the list):

(Prayer can of course include praise. There is no hard and fast division but I have generally gone here for hymns or songs which directly address God, or one of the divine persons, and which include some kind of petition or request)

Abide with me

As we gather may Your Spirit work within us

Away in a manger

Be Thou My Vision

Bind us together, Lord

Breathe on me, Breath of God

Come down O Love divine

Come, Holy Spirit (Veni Sancte Spiritus)

Come thou long expected Jesus

Dear Lord and Father of mankind

Eternal Father Strong to Save … for those in peril on the sea

Father hear the prayer we offer

From the depths of shame and sorrow https://www.praise.org.uk/hymn/from-the-depths-of-shame-and-sorrow/

God be in my head

God save our gracious King! – The National Anthem

Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah / Redeemer

Lead us, heavenly Father, lead us

Lord, for the years your love has kept and guided

Lord of the church we pray for our renewing

Lord the light of your love is shining.... Shine, Jesus, Shine 

Love divine, all loves excelling

Make me a channel of your peace

May the mind of Christ my saviour dwell in me from day to day

O Breath of life, come sweeping through us

O great God of highest heaven - (Valley of Vision) Sovereign Grace Music

O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer (Sovereign Grace Music)

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord

Speak O Lord as we come to you

Take my life and let it be consecrated, Lord, to thee

Teach me, my God and king, in all things thee to see

Thine be the glory, risen, conquering Son

No comments: