Thursday, October 06, 2022

A prayer for sermon preparation

 

Do you have favourite prayers you pray as you come to prepare your sermon? Here’s some things I think it’s worth praying.

Maybe the main thing to pray is "Lord, prepare me as I seek to prepare my sermon!"

 

Our Father in heaven, thank you for your powerful, life-giving Word.

And thank you that I have this time to study it.

And the awesome privilege of proclaiming it to others.

Please would you meet with me afresh in your Word.

Give me a teachable heart.

Open my eyes, that I might see marvellous things out of your Law. [Psalm 119:18]

Nourish my soul.

Renew my joy and confidence in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Give me grace to live in the light of all that you teach me.

And help me as I prepare to speak your Word to others.

Increase my love for you and for your hearers.

Please give me insight and wisdom into the good news of the Lord Jesus and into my hearers’ needs and situations.

Help me to concentrate and use my time well for the edification of your body, for the salvation of sinners, for the good of my own soul and for your glory.

Cause me to trust your Spirit’s power to use my weak efforts and to give the growth.

In Jesus' name.

Amen.


The end of Psalm 19 also makes a suitable prayer:

After speaking of God's revelation in creation and in his Law:

But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
    may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression.

14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

No comments: