Saturday, March 28, 2020

Sunday Service Notes 29/3/20 - order of service, hmyns, readings etc.

SUNDAY SERVICE NOTES FOR 29/3/20 - Order of service, readings, music etc.

The Fifth Sunday of Lent (Passiontide begins)
Common Worship (= Contemporary Language) Morning Prayer on a Sunday
9:30am facebook.com/malloyd
And afterwards on the churches Facebook pages, Warbleton Parish Church YouTube Channel and audio sermon on church website

Readings:
Psalm 86 (p596)
Jeremiah 31:27-37 (p793)
John 12:20-33 (p1080)

Don’t forget the clocks spring forward tonight.

You might want to have a Bible and a pen and paper handy for the sermon.

I will be using the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible (1984) which we have in church but there are lots of other good translations too. biblegateway.com

The form of service is Common Worship (i.e. Contemporary Language) Morning Prayer on a Sunday.

You can find the general form by scrolling down here: https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/common-worship/daily-prayer/morning-and-evening
I am generally trying to use the Common Worship Sunday principal service lectionary but I got myself in a muddle this week and put the Morning Prayer readings on the notice sheet so I’ve stuck with them.
God is gracious!
And it’s all good stuff!
And I thought you probably wouldn’t know!

Anyway, I’ll try and get it right next time and then I’ll be able to point you to a form of service with the readings and the collect automatically added.

For before the service, we’ve recorded for us a couple of verses of Praise My Soul The King of Heaven.

During the service we’ll hear a bit of Great is Thy Faithfulness, with the words.

And at the end we’ll play The King of Love My Shepherd Is.

If you are using one of the recordings, you could pause the service to listen to or sing hymns of your choice, accompanied or unaccompanied, in the flesh or online.

Some suitable hymns with links to the words and music online might be:

You can Google hymn words, tunes or videos or videos with words.

Here are some examples, but if you dislike these versions, you could easily find others:

Praise My Soul The King of Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyRIVbdsi4c

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErwiBz1QA4o

The King of Love My Shepherd Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu83WQdQ7-Y

If you’d like four hymns as we usually have, Hail to the Lord’s Anointed would also be suitable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCCwBqiQdk

We’re going to consider Psalm 86 together in the service, so you could Google metrical versions of that or hymns based on it.

Again, if you would like more options to explore, the Commentaries on Psalm 86 mentioned:

Charles Wesley, Jesus my strength, my hope
Thomas Ken, Awake My Soul and With The Sun
Philip Doddridge, O Happy Day that fixed my choice on Christ

I am intending to preach mainly on Psalm 86.
There’s no need to, but you might benefit from looking at it in advance.
Some outlines and headings on Psalm 86 from the commentaries can be found here: https://marclloyd.blogspot.com/2020/03/psalm-86-some-outlines-and-headings.html

No comments: