Monday, November 12, 2007

Preaching Plans (Jan-Apr '08)

Here are some first thoughts on what I might preach on in January - April 2008:

13 Jan AM – Famous “Anglican” Texts: Now I Can Die Happy! (Luke 2:21-40)

20 Jan PM – When God Pitched Up (John 1:1-18)

10 Feb AM – Famous “Anglican” Texts: Sing to the Lord a New Song (Psalm 98)

24 Feb PM – A Spotlight on the True Light (John 1:6-34)

9 Mar AM - Famous “Anglican” Texts: Jubilate! (Psalm 100)

20 Mar – The Meal Jesus Gave Us (Luke 22:7-38)

(Maundy Thursday meal)

23 Mar PM – The Difference the Risen Jesus Makes (John 20)

(Easter Sunday)

20 Apr PM – Come and see (John 1:35-51)

27 Apr AM – Article 1 of C of E continued: “… God, everlasting, without body, parts, or passions; of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness;”



I need to find a reading for that last one: I feel a bit guilty about preaching from the 39 Articles rather than the Bible!

* * *

It is great to have my pick of what to preach on, but a series of sermons once a month has its challenges!

It would be great not to have to decide what to preach on next time untill I've seen how the last one went. How many sermons do we want on John 1:1-18? I don't know.

* * *

I'd like to preach a couple of sermons on the Lord's Prayer at some point and maybe I might set myself a title like "Tips for Parents" to allow myself to think about how to be a dad.

* * *

I'm not sure really why we publish a programme card. Does anyone really choose to come to church or not on the basis of the passages and the little titles? Or the preacher? And if they do, is that a good thing?

The titles seem a bit of a joke anyway since I've no idea what I want to say about these texts now, really, and in 5 months time and after some serious work on the passages, I might find my titles are totally off target. Maybe they should just be seen as advertising and need have little resemblance to the finished product!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Sometimes I want to preach 3 or 4 sermons on a passage, instead of the one allotted.

I spend about 5 seconds on each sermon title for our termcard, precisely because I haven't prepared the sermon yet!

Neil Jeffers said...

Advantage of a termcard is that the diligent can read the passage a few times beforehand. I doubt many do, but there will be a few. Good Sabbath preparation!

Pete said...

Lloyd-Jones was really set against preaching outlines being published, for exactly some of the reasons you cite.

I think I'd probably prefer not to be publishing titles and passages. Publishing the general series title/ what book you're preaching on and number of weeks isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Ros said...

You could achieve the same 'reading beforehand' effect by printing the topic for the next week's sermon in the news sheet each week.

Charles Dobbie always seemed to enjoy that flexibility to its fullest extent, often deciding during preaching that he had enough material for the next week's sermon as well.