Thursday, November 08, 2007

Preacher's Disclaimers

As I contemplate preaching on the prologue to John’s gospel on Sunday, I want to issue all sorts of disclaimers. Of course I don’t really get it all. The Trinity is mysterious. There are depths here that I can’t understand or explain.

And more generally there is a dreadful responsibility to preaching. The preacher hopes that his hearers wont write off Jesus because the preacher was dull, that they wont think some doctrine nonsense because the preacher mucked up his description.

Yet you’ve got to just pray, do your best, and pray again. Unfortunately, or fortunately, sermons can’t really have small-print apologies, or at least not every week.

Here’s Calvin on his inability to fully explain the Lord’s Supper:

… - if one may reduce to words so great a mystery, which I see that I do not even sufficiently comprehend with my mind. I therefore freely admit that no man should measure its sublimity by the little of my childishness. Rather, I urge my readers not to confine their mental interest within too narrow limits, but to strive to rise much higher than I can lead them. For, whenever this matter is discussed, when I have tried to say all, I feel that I have as yet said little in proportion to its worth. And although my mind can think beyond what my tongue can utter, yet even my mind is conquered and overwhelmed by the greatness of the thing. Therefore, nothing remains but to break forth in wonder at this mystery, which plainly neither the mind is able to conceive nor the tongue to express. Nevertheless, I shall in one way or another sum up my views; for, as I do not doubt them to be true, I am confident they will be approved in godly hearts. (Institutes, 4.17.7, p1367-8)

3 comments:

Glen said...

No footnotes or disclaimers in preaching, that's right! Here's Luther with jaw-dropping audacity.

“Tis a right excellent thing, that every honest pastor’s and preacher’s mouth is Christ’s mouth, and his word and forgiveness is Christ’s word and forgiveness… For the office is not the pastor’s or preacher’s but God’s; and the Word which he preacheth is likewise not the pastor’s and preacher’s but God’s.” (quoted in CD 1/1, p107)

“…a preacher must not say the Lord’s Prayer, nor ask forgiveness of sins, when he has preached (if he is a true preacher)… It is neither necessary nor good to ask here for forgiveness of sins, as though the teaching were false. For it is not my word but God’s, which He neither will nor can forgive me, and for which He must always praise and reward me saying: You have taught rightly for I have spoken through you and the Word is mine. Whoever cannot boast thus of his preaching repudiates preaching; for he expressly denies and slanders God.” (quoted in CD 1/2, p747)

Marc Lloyd said...

Thanks, Glen. Yes, striking statements.

I'm not sure I entirely understand or agree with what Luther / Barth are saying about preaching here, though?

If its just, in so far as the Word of God is faithfully preached then the preaching is the Word of God too then I'm comfortable with that.

But surely it is right to ask forgiveness for any faults or errors in my preaching, for any sin or stupidity of mine that has marred my preaching of the Word of God?

Oh, and a footnote: Whilst footnotes are a bore in writing, how easy to ramble off into one while preaching!

Glen said...

"If its just, in so far as the Word of God is faithfully preached then the preaching is the Word of God too then I'm comfortable with that."

I think that's exactly it. Luther is simply taking that statement with utmost seriousness. If the preaching of the word of God is the word of God, then... Well, we would certainly never want to apologise for the *Bible* ...

What about sin and stupidity in preacher? Well that is entirely possible (I have first-hand experience!). Yet, I guess that's where his caveat (if he is a true preacher) comes in.

Luther doesn't want to make the preaching office a diluting mediation between Word and congregation. You're either a true preacher and therefore your preaching not only explains and applies the word of God but IS the word of God. Or you're not a true preacher of the word - and then you must ask *much* forgiveness!