Friday, July 24, 2026

In All Things Thee To See: A Devotional Guide to Selected Poems of George Herbert - by Stephen Witmer

 

In All Things Thee To See: A Devotional Guide to Selected Poems of George Herbert

Stephen Witmer

Crossway, 2026 (ISBN: 9798874900748 hb, 126pp)

 

I feel I’ve got some catching up to do it art, music and poetry appreciation. And I found this attractively produced book enjoyable and edifying.

 

With a brief introduction and conclusion, forty poems from “The Church” section of Herbert’s The Temple series (1633 edition, retaining the order), are considered favouring shorter more accessible poems (with language “lightly modernized” and American spelling). The text is from CCEL. https://www.ccel.org/ccel/herbert/temple.

 

Footnotes explain obscure phrases. Each poem is followed by a short section on “Savouring the poem” and then a pastoral application called “Shepherded by the poem.”

 

Suggestions for further reading are also given.

 

Person and Scripture index.

 

Witmer sometimes refers to line numbers, so it would have been helpful to have had a guide to these printed alongside the poems.

 

Recommended.  

No comments: