Friday, May 15, 2020

Why don't we grow and change?

I would genuinely love you thoughts and help on this!

Maybe you can plot your Christian growth on a wonderful upward curve. But that is not my experience. Sure, I have grown and changed no doubt, but many of my issues are still with me.

By the grace of God I am not what I was. And I am not what I shall be.

But how do we change and grow? How can growth be quicker, fuller, more lasting and fruitful and so on? Is there any method to holiness and Christian living or do we just let go and let God?

We are evangelicals. So our answer is normally more Bible truth. Good!

But we are also already sound. We may need our theoretical beliefs to be refined, but mostly it is all there in Calvin. If you have been an Evangelical believer for 20 years, faithfully attending an evangelical church, reading your Bible and evangelical books, probably your greatest need is not new evangelical info.

Well, we are forgetful. We need reminding! Yes! Good!

But it is more than that, is it not?

We must not only know the truth (assent to it) - or even somehow keep it in mind - but throw in our lot with it: love it, seek it, will it, long for it, pursue it. Follow the Truth with enthusiasm.

So how do we cultivate the love and will as well as the info?

How do we move from intellectual assent and vague desire to change?

What role will power and self control and habit and plodding?

What role a plan? Steps?

What role community?

You will say it is as matter of prayer and the power of the Spirit. Yes, good, right. But what and how shall I pray? What means might he use?

No comments: