Wednesday, October 31, 2007

SAMS & CMS

I was interested to see that The South American Mission Society (SAMS) has announced that it is in merger talks with The Church Mission Society (CMS UK).

I could be totally wrong about this, but in my mind SAMS has a more evangelical flavour than CMS? I had a quick browse on their websites and whilst CMS has some stuff about vision and values, I couldn’t see a doctrinal basis for either organisation.

Does anyone know anything about the theological stance of these two societies?

A quick hunt on the Crosslinks (the old "Bible Churchman's Missionary Society") website (Ethos statement page) revealed the original Basis of the Society and a modernised Statement of Faith. I guess even the fact that a doctrinal basis pops up easily out of their website is significant.

2 comments:

Neil Jeffers said...

Not sure.

I do know that BCMS (now Crosslinks) originated as a splinter from CMS because they thought CMS was abandoning the gospel, rather like the CICCU-SCM split.

Anonymous said...

Crosslinks is considerably more evangelical than CMS. CMS is much bigger and more influential! I thought SAMS came somewhere in the middle.