Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Enjoying "God"

Mrs Lloyd and I have brought Tim Chester's new book, Enjoying God (Good Book Company, 2018) on holiday. (I should point out that thus far I have only read a tiny bit and not super carefully!).

Chester points out that God is God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Agreed!

He therefore argues that strictly, speaking of "God" is always shorthand for God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit (or perhaps for one of the persons). We do not know God in his essential and mysterious nature but only through the persons.

I think Chester claims that our relationship with God will always be clarified and deepened if we think specifically about the persons and that this will help us to enjoy God more fully.

I wonder how this approach maps on to biblical usage?

No comments: