Friday, April 11, 2008

Ministerial Formation Essay

The Lord being my helper, I've to write 2500 words by Wednesday on Ministerial Formation (for ordained ministry).

So any comments, questions, corrections etc. most welcome.

The essay gets entered for the Archdeacon Sutton Prize. I don't know what the prize is, but if you say anything helpful, I guess we could split it!

I don't even know who marks it / awards the prize but I guess we ought to think Anglican clergy.

They are after theological reflection and some comments on personal experience, I think.

I thought I might call it:

Theological and Trinitarian Perspectives
for Formation for Ordained Ministry
in Three Dimensions

3 aspects of ministerial formation:
- knowledge
- character
- competence

3 perspectives:
- normative
- existential
- situational

3 dimensions of ordianed ministry:
- diaconal
- presbyteral
- episcopal

3 orientations of ministry:
- the glory of God
- the pain of the world
- the renewal of the church

I hope I could make use of some of the ideas mentioned in previous posts and that I might manage some paragraphs on:

- the incarnation as public ministry
- the economic and immanent Trinity and the minister's private / public life, or inner / outer life
- the priesthood of all believers and a special priesthood
- the priest as example / icon / representative of Christ
- essence and fullness (cf. threshold learning outcomes and ideals)
- simplicity and integrity
- perichorisis and inseperable operation
- praxis and theory (cf. faith seeking understanding and service seeking understanding)
- ontology and function, being and doing, person and work
- creation, providence, salvation and life-long learning
- liturgical / baptismal / eucharistic formation
- ordination and ontological change, a decisive moment of formation
- a word study on "formation" / transformation in the Bible
- the gospel as maturation / transformation / sanctification from one degree of glory to another
- 9:38 apprenticeships and 2 Timothy 2:2
- ministerial selection criteria
- the ordinal
- the impossible vastness of the subject, because of who God is, the greatness of the gospel, the goals of ministry, the uniqueness of every minister and ministry

Any tips?

6 comments:

Ros said...

Marc, I think you have misread your audience entirely. Surely there are several paragraphs in the Hind Report which tell us what Ministerial Formation is? Cut and paste.

Marc Lloyd said...

Yes, I've even done so far as to read in the Hind report, what you can get on the internet.

I think we're not meant to call it the Hind report, by the way!

I thought I might say have the concepts of the Hind report could be expounded and developed. The report says its mainly about practical proposals and the theological basis is given in spare outline form that calls for more of a theology of ministry and ministerial formation.

On the other hand, with Wed approaching there may be a bit of:

As Bishop John wisely said: [Insert 2400 words of "Hind" report].

DavidF said...

Any tips?

Yes, ditch "episcopal"! And then, since surely there must be a relevant triad, go by function rather than by order.

Blessings

David

Marc Lloyd said...

Thanks, David.

As I kinda say here:

http://marclloyd.blogspot.com/2008/04/priest-elder-bishop-apsotles-in-nt-now.html

I think we are talking function / role not word study or order of ministry when we say "episcopal". Beckwith seems to think that's true, at least historically, but I don't know how many Anglicans would admit it.

I'm not sure how you would summarise the functions of the pastor-teacher / presbyter / overseer into 3 and would you include diaconal functions too?

I am tempted to think there is a place for a kind of reduced episcopasy ala Usher or CESA.

Ros said...

What are we supposed to call it if it's not the Hind Report?

Marc Lloyd said...

The official title is:

FORMATION FOR MINISTRY WITHIN A LEARNING CHURCH: THE STRUCTURE AND FUNDING OF ORDINATION TRAINING

The report of a working party set up by the Archbishops’ Council

:)