Monday, August 20, 2007

Baby Obadiah?

Following a sermon by Rev'd John Cheeseman on 1 Kings 18:1-16, Obadiah has suddenly shot up the possible names list for young master Lloyd. John informs us that the name means "servant of Yahweh" and encouraged us to have it as our highest priority for our children that they might be devout believers in the LORD (v3) who honour the word of God and worship the LORD since their youth (v12). What a wonderful witness Obadiah's name would have been in the dark days of wicked king Ahab.

I think it would be good to have a name that's shortenable and play-around-with-able. You can't do much with Marc!

And even if it is a bit posh, it seems to me, the more middle names the better!

But Jonathan (sort of vaguely after Yvonne's father, John, and Jonathan Edwards, the great American theologian - not the tripple jumper) Owen (after John Owen and 'cos its a bit Welsh) Andrew (since there's a bit of a middle name thing going on in my family there) remain the favourates. Maybe one doesn't want to use up Edwards and Owen on one kid?

And maybe they're a bit too dull?

I had a great grandfather called Zechariah (see Luke 1:67ff), so maybe that should be resurrected - though its not as cool as the now fairly common Zach?

10 comments:

Neil Jeffers said...

Unusual names are particularly good as middle names.

I was a big fan of Azariah (Yah is my help).

Biblical first name, famous theologian middle name is a popular combo (viz. the McClenahan boys).

I agree that two middle names make a nice feature: David Clare Molyneux Fletcher for example. How is Yvonne coming along?

Anonymous said...

I recommend Daniel: "God is my judge".

I have a strange liking for the name Orlando, after the 16th c. composer of some wonderful settings of John 1, the Magnificat, the Nunc Dimittis, the Te Deum, some other songs and much, much more. Since it is unlikely that I will have children, however, I may have to reserve it for my cat (when I eventually qualify and get a home of my own and buy a cat). I have always thought Reformers' surnames would make good names for cats. Cranmer works particularly well. An independent minister friend of mine as a cat called Luther, or affectionately, "Poofer".

Neil Jeffers said...

Daniel,

So glad you like Cranmer, as our 6-month-old is James Cranmer Thompson Jeffers!

Marc Lloyd said...

Yeah, Yvonne is blooming, ta, Neil. 12 weeks to go, apparently.

I was disappointed to hear that babies need to use nappies for about 2 years. That seems an age. Yvonne thinks I've much to learn!

Neil Jeffers said...

That's right.

At our ante-natal classes, we were told that one child should get through £2,000 worth of disposable nappies before they're ready to go without!

Ros said...

Felix strikes me as a good name. Means 'happy'.

The problem with Obadiah is that the potential nickname is 'Bad'. You could probably get away with that if you were planning to bring him up in the Bronx, but maybe not Eastbourne.

Of your top three, I like Jonathan best. Never liked Owen, not sure why. Andrew's just a bit dull. If you're going for unusual Hebrew names, you can't do wrong with Habakkuk.

Or, on Friends last week, I was struck by the possibiliy of Ch'nandla. Just a thought.

Is the child certainly a boy? Should I start knitting in blue?

Marc Lloyd said...

The scan operator was pretty confident he's a fella, but they can err, I believe.

Ros said...

Please don't ask me how I know this but have you seen this nappy alternative? http://www.bumgenius.com/

Marc Lloyd said...

No I hadn't! I was expecting some kind of comedy website there, but I shall point those out to Mrs Lloyd!

I'm inclined to think disposables might make for an easier life...

Anonymous said...

I think you should go for the books of the bible - Deuteronomy Lloyd! Or even 1 Thessalonians Lloyd - it has a ring to it!

I agree with Ros as regards your top 3. Before I was born Mum liked Jonathan but Dad liked Boaz (eek) so I've always been thankful that I was a girl!
Hope you're having fun in Eastbourne. Have you found Uncle Sam's yet?