Monday, December 25, 2023

Some jottings for a midnight Communion sermon

 

Isaiah 9:1-7 (p693)

Luke 2:1-20 (p1927)

 

Christmas for the children?

 

A child for us

 

To us

 

To all the people

 

To the whole world

 

To you

 

 To all who received him

 

The German Reformer, Martin Luther, said this in his Christmas sermon of 1521:

 

Listen! the angel says: "I bring you glad tidings of great joy", my Gospel speaks of great joy.

Where is it?

Hear again: "For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord"...

How is it possible for man to hear of greater joy than that Christ has given to him as his own?

He does not only say Christ is born, but he makes his birth our own by saying, to you a Saviour.

Therefore the Gospel does not only teach the history concerning Christ; but it enables all who believe it to receive it as their own….

Of what benefit would it be to me if Christ had been born a thousand times… if I were never to hear that he was born for me and was to be my very own?

 

Not just a Saviour, but my Saviour

 

To be received personally by faith

 

Holy Communion

 

Christ offered to us

 

“Given for you”

No comments: