Saturday, March 09, 2024

Jottings for a brief thought on Isaiah 49v15 for Mothering Sunday

 

In our reading from the prophet Isaiah, God wants to comfort his people (v13).

They feel as if the LORD has forsaken and forgotten them (v14).

So God asks them a question, which I want to focus on for a moment, and then the sermon is done:

V15, “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?”

 

What sort of question do you think that is?

Technically?

If this were a school lesson?

 

A rhetorical question.

A question asked for effect.

Not necessarily expecting an answer or seeking information.

God already knows the answer but he asks the question as part of an argument, to persuade us of something.

 

If mum was cross with you and she said:

“Do you think I’m stupid?

“Do I look as if I was born yesterday?

They would be rhetorical questions.

The question is meant to answer itself.

You’re meant to get the point, not to say, “well, mum, you don’t look that bright and you are looking quite old!”

 

So, what answer do you think God’s rhetorical question is expecting?

“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?”

 

What do you think?

What answer would you give?

 

Very unlikely.

Normally not.

 

Mothers’ love for their children.

They often show amazing compassion and care.

A mother’s love is legendary.  

 

Parents normally remember their children, don’t they?

Even I can remember all of all of my four children’s names!

I remember them!

 

V15b, God says: “Though she [the mother we’re imagining] may forget, I will not forget you!”

 

Sadly, some parents do neglect their children.

We don’t always love our children as well as we should.

 

But God’s love is greater, stronger, more long-lasting even than the best mother’s love.

 

God says, even if a mum might forget her child, I will never forget my people.

 

The love divine excels all other loves.

God’s love is the best love ever:

It’s a non-stop never failing never giving up for ever and always love.

 

V16 is remarkable verse:

God says, “see, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands”

 

I sometimes write things on my hand as a reminder.

Not the best as it sometimes gets washed off!

It’s very temporary and unsure.

 

But it’s as if God has engraved his peoples’ names on his hands for ever so that he won’t ever forget them.

God’s love is permeant and sure.

 

As we think of God’s palms, we might think of Jesus dying for us.

Jesus’ love for us meant he was willing to be crucified for us.

His love for you and me takes him to the cross.

 

Let me finish just by quoting some words from Augustus Toplady’s hymn, A debtor to mercy alone:

 

Talking about God, he says:

 

His promise is Yes and Amen,
And never was forfeited yet.
Things future, nor things that are now,
Not all things below or above,
Can make Him [God] His purpose forego,
Or sever my soul from His love.

 

Nothing could ever stop God loving us, in other words.

My name from the palms of [God’s] hands
Eternity will not erase;
Imprest on His heart, it remains
In marks of indelible grace.

May we know God’s best of all, never failing, never giving up love. 

No comments: