Monday, April 15, 2013

Some Bible verses on friends and frienship



Select list of
Some Bible verses on Friends & Friendship

NIV: friend 70x; friendly 3x; friends 91x; friendship 8x

(The other reference would be easily look-up-able on Bible Gateway or similar)

Exodus 33:11 The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend.

Deuteronomy 13:6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known,

2 Chronicles 20:7 O our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it for ever to the descendants of Abraham your friend?

See also Isaiah 41:8; James 2:23

Psalm 41:9 Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.

See also Ps 55:13

Psalm 119:63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Proverbs 18:24 A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Proverbs 19:4 Wealth brings many friends, but a poor man's friend deserts him.

Proverbs 19:6 Many curry favour with a ruler, and everyone is the friend of a man who gives gifts.

Proverbs 22:11 He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend.

Proverbs 27:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Proverbs 27:9 Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel.

Proverbs 27:10 Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father, and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you--better a neighbour nearby than a brother far away.

Ecclesiastes 4:10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no-one to help him up!

Song of Solomon 5:16 His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my lover, this my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 3:4 Have you not just called to me:`My Father, my friend from my youth,

Jeremiah 9:4f "Beware of your friends; do not trust your brothers. For every brother is a deceiver, and every friend a slanderer. Friend deceives friend, and no-one speaks the truth. They have taught their tongues to lie; they weary themselves with sinning.

Micah 7:5 Do not trust a neighbour; put no confidence in a friend. Even with her who lies in your embrace be careful of your words.

Matthew 11:19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say,`Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners".' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

Matthew 26:50 Jesus replied, "Friend, do what you came for." Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him.

Luke 11:5ff Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says,`Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'… I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred towards God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

1 Samuel 20:42 Jonathan said to David, "Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the LORD, saying,`The LORD is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants for ever.'" Then David left, and Jonathan went back to the town.

Job 29:4 Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God's intimate friendship blessed my house,

Psalm 109:4f In return for my friendship they accuse me, but I am a man of prayer. They repay me evil for good, and hatred for my friendship.

Proverbs 12:26 A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

No comments: