Friday, December 21, 2012

Ministry Mottos

No doubt there are all sorts of ministry mottos I ought to have, pithy phrases which I ought to remind myself and others of often. Things like:

Jesus loves you.
Love God; love your neighbour
God's in charge.
All things work together for good to us.
Faithfulness, not necessarily results.
Faithfulness in small things.
Grace not works.
The ministry of the Word and prayer.
Pray now.
 Do to others what you would have them do to you.

This probably reveals my Godlessness, but two things I find myself thinking and saying most often are:

(1) People are wierd. They have their funny ways and foibles and entrenched ideas. It's key to remember that no doubt I do too. They may think I'm a bit mad and a bit bad and they may well be right! We're all sinners - but not necessarily in the same sorts of ways.

(2) Life is never simple. Sometimes this is related to (1)! But you should also expect the printer to break down at a busy time with 15 minutes to go. The most straightforward things can become fiendishly complicated or difficult and things which might seem easy can cause a great deal of upset, strife or confusion and require lots of time and energy.

(1) and (2) should probably make you smile. They should certainly make you pray.

No doubt you can suggest some better ministry mottos for 2013?

Bill Hybels, Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs may be of interest.

No comments: