Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Marriage Prep

I have 3 non-churchgoing couples to prepare for marriage this summer and I'm wondering what to do. I'm also looking for a book to reccomend. All tips most welcome.

I was chatting to a minister friend the other day who has prepared a few keen Christian couples for marriage. I think his 4 sessions went something like this:

(1) Covenant

(2) Roles - a.k.a. submission

(3) Communication - a.k.a. don't get a telly

(4) Sex - a.k.a. have a "date night" each week!

Maybe some of his victims can correct my memory!

One friend commented that he thought it might be best to get 2 TVs - avoids a lot of arguments!

4 comments:

Neil Jeffers said...

My predecessor, Pete Jackson, did a 4-session marriage prep course, designed for non-Xians. It's published by Good Book Co, called Preparing for Marriage.

Good content, simple, nicely presented.

Marc Lloyd said...

Thanks, Neil.

A friend also siad:

here's 2 good books that are solid on Biblical marriage but suitable to give away to non-Christian couples

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highway-Marriage-Michael-Hilary-Perrott/dp/1853453315

http://www.careforthefamily.org.uk/resources/product.asp?productid=1028

Marc Lloyd said...

Glen is also asking about marriage courses at:

http://christthetruth.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/marriage-wisdom/

Daniel Newman said...

Better than two televisions is no television.

Besides the rubbish that's on, it means that the couple actually has to talk to one another and do things together, rather than sitting with their minds absorbed by the black box in the corner.

I accept that it is a suggestion unlikely to be acceptable to many, especially non-Christians I would have thought, two televisions would seem to feed problems with a newly married couple rather than solve them.

Not that Brooke and I were planning to have a television anyway, but that was some advice that was passed on to me by another minister, anyway.