Friday, December 12, 2008

Studying The Apostles' Creed

Since I started writing the homegroup notes for our church, we've almost always worked sequentially through books of the Bible. Next term we're going to try something different. D.v. we'll have Bible studies which use the clauses of the Apostles' Creed as a launching off point.

The following might be helpful resources:

Tim Chester, I Believe: The Apostle's Creed 10 studies for individuals or groups Good Book Guide (2007)

Michael Horton, We Believe: Rediscovering the Essentials of the Apostles' Creed (Nashville, Word Publishing, 1998)

Alistair McGrath, I Believe: Exploring the Apostles' Creed (Downers Grove, IVP, 1991, 1997)

J. I. Packer, Affirming the Apostles' Creed (Wheaton, Crossways, 2008) - formerly part of Growing In Christ originally published as I Want To Be A Christian

George M. Philip, The Apostles' Creed: What Christians Should Always Believe (Fearn, Christian Focus, 1990, 1994)

I guess it would also be helpful for leaders to look up the relevant doctrines in something like Bruce Milne's Know The Truth or an evangelical Systematic Theology such as Wayne Grudem's.

I'm thinking the study series might go something like this:

(1) I believe in God, the Father almighty,

creator of heaven and earth.

(2) I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,

born of the Virgin Mary,

(3) suffered under Pontius Pilate,

was crucified, died, and was buried;

he descended to the dead.

(4) On the third day he rose again;

(5) he ascended into heaven,

he is seated at the right hand of the Father,

(6) and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

(7) I believe in the Holy Spirit,

(8) the holy catholic Church,

the communion of saints,

(9) the forgiveness of sins,

(10) the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting.



Here's Tim Chester's outline (with suggested Bible passages) taken from the Good Book Company website:

1. Believing in God
'I believe in God' Romans 1 v 18-25 and John 14 v 1-11

2. The Triune God
'the Father...his only Son...the Holy Spirit' John 17 v 20-26

3. The Sovereign God
'the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth' Psalm 33

4. The identity of Jesus Christ
'I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord' Hebrews 1-2

5. The Sacrifice of Jesus Christ
'who suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead' Matthew 27 v 11-54

6. The reign of Jesus Christ
'On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come again to judge the living and the dead' 1 Corinthians 15 v 1-34

7. The life of the Spirit
'I believe in the Holy Spirit' Romans 8 v 1-17

8. The community of the Spirit
'the holy catholic church, the communion of saints' Ephesians 1-4

9. The work of the Spirit
'the forgiveness of sins' Matthew 9 v 1-13 and Titus 3 v 3-8

10. The hope of the Spirit
'the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting' Romans 8 v 18-39



On 21st January I might speak in our midweek meeting on "I believe in God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit: The Apostles' Creed and the Trinity".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in this list of Al Mohler's recent talks on the Apostles Creed.

Marc Lloyd said...

Thank you, Daniel. I am indeed very interested to see that.

Glen said...

You might be less interested in Karl Barth's Dogmatics in Outline, which also goes through the Apostle's Creed. But it's a great read, promise! And a quick way of saying you've 'read Barth.'

Marc Lloyd said...

Thanks, Glen. I am very interested in that! I have a very old copy of Karl Barth, The Faith of The Church: A Commentary on the Apostles' Creed (Fontana Books) on my shelves and I thought I'd have a look at it if time permits. That's different from Dogmatics in Outline, I take it? (No doubt I expose my ignorance here!).

Would you reccomend it to homegroup leaders? Does it need a health warning?

Glen said...

I think The Faith of the Church is different because in that work he's explicitly looking at the creed through Calvin's catechism. Perhaps for that reason you'd much prefer it, though I haven't read it.

When recommending Barth the big thing I flag up is that his theology is not like a system where A plus B plus C necessarily means D. So, for e.g., he speaks in unabashedly universal terms of Christ's atonement but he denies universal reconciliation (in Dogmatics in Outline as well as CD and his sermons). So I might point out the places that he does so in advance. (In the SCM 2007 edition - p127).

But I can't think of anything I'd warn people away from in DiO.
In all I'd recommend him as showing how to think theologically - ie according to the Logos. It's refreshing stuff.