Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Suitable Ordinand

Cranmer Hall apparently recommended that Nick Howard should not be ordained because of his supposed “unwillingness to listen” to other points of view. Though if these press reports are to be believed, the real offence was caused by Nick’s standing by the Bible’s teaching that homosexual sex is a sin and that Jesus is the only way to God.

The Mail on Sunday:

Michael Howard's son tells how liberal Anglicans have thwarted his ambition

By Elizabeth Day

Last updated at 22:00pm on 30th September 2006

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=407794&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=


Or likewise,

This is London – Evening Standard

Michael Howard's son tells how liberal Anglicans have thwarted his ambition | News | This is London

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369153-details/Michael+Howards+/son+tells+how+liberal+Anglicans+have+thwarted+his+ambition/article.do


* * *

From the little I know of Nick Howard, it seems to me he would be an eminently able minister and a faithful servant of the gospel. He seems to me a gentle and sensible sort. A great shame. Isn’t there some bishop somewhere who’d like to ordain him despite this report from Cranmer?

4 comments:

Pete said...

When was Cranmer martyred? I know it's coming up to the 450th anniversary some time soon isn't it? It all seems tragically ironic that things should be happening at Cranmer Hall.

Dave Williams said...

It's a good warning about picking your college wisely -three years isn't simply about learning theology as an academic it's about placing yourself under the teaching authority of the lecturers. I'm very uncormfortable that a man who must be aware of places like Oak Hill went through that process and is now writing in the Daily Mail about his troubles

Marc Lloyd said...

Pete,

Cranmer was martyred on 21st March 1556, I think, so we've missed it for this year, it seems.

Dave,

Yes. Not 100% sure exactly what you mean by the teaching authority of the lecturers, though?

I don't think the article in the article in the Mail on Sunday is by Nick, of course, though it does quote him at length and seems pretty favourable to him.

I've heard people use the argument that they can go to a college (say in Oxford, Cambridge or Durham) for the sake of the student ministry but I think that's a big mistake given that we're meant to be spending these years primarily training and preparing for ministry - and of course there are more opportunities for ministry (including student ministry at Middlesex) at Oak Hill than one could shake a stick at so.... But of course this is preaching to the converted. :)

Dave Williams said...

Hi Marc,

Sorry what I meant is that as soon as we are in a classroom setting we are listening to the lecturers and at times it feels as though our brais are being assaulted. It's tough going and we are exposing our minds to others. It can be tough gong and scary sometimes even in an environment where you are in general agreement. So when I get someone to teach me theology they are teaching me God's words. I wouldn't let anyone do that in church on Sunday as my pastor -so why do it for the rest of the week? So it is good at that somewhere like Oakhill the lecturers see themselves as pastorally responsible. It must have been an awful experience for Nick sitting in chapel so isolated. And for the record despite my concenrs/critical comments all I've hear of him over the years is good and I believe it will be the Cof E's loss